DescriptionLeslie’s Cellulose Fiber is Safe and Natural
Leslie’s Cellulose Fiber is a blend of natural cellulose fibers that replaces diatomaceous earth in pool and spa filters. In D.E. filters, Cellulose Fiber replaces the D.E. and safely cleans pool water. In cartridge and sand filters, Cellulose Fiber works as a filter aid and improves water clarity.
*6lb ships in two 3lb bags
Tip 1: Shortened Cycling* with New Installations
- Leslie’s Cellulose Fiber filters smaller particles than D.E., causing the filter pressure to rise more quickly than usual for one or two cycles. During these cycles your filter is cleaning the small particles missed by D.E.
- After the initial one or two cycles your filter's cycle time will be increased versus D.E.
* Backwashing + recharging= cycle
Tip 2: Chemical Compatibility
- Leslie’s Cellulose Fiber has no known compatibility issues.
Tip 3: Oil Contamination
- Oils from high-bather loads may cause Leslie’s Cellulose Fiber to initially load up quicker. This is because D.E. does not filter all oils.
- In most residential pools and spas, this will not occur due to lower-bather loads.
Tip 4: Short Cycling of Filter
- Initial short cycling of the filter is only a sign that Leslie’s Cellulose Fiber is collecting impurities from the water that were not captured by the previous filter media.
- If short cycling persists, the water chemistry should be checked.
Tip 5: Environmentally Safe
- Leslie’s Cellulose Fiber is all-natural cellulose fiber (wood pulp).
- Leslie’s Cellulose Fiber is non-toxic and biodegradable.
Tip 6: Cartridge and Sand Filters
- Leslie’s Cellulose Fiber will also maximize your cartridge and sand filters' filtration rates. (Not necessary if already using ZeoSand in filter.)
- Filter pressure may increase or cycle more quickly than usual due to Leslie’s Cellulose Fiber's increased rate of filtration.
- Follow manufacturers' instructions for cleaning and backwashing filters.
- Safe and Natural
- Finer Filtration
- Longer Filter Cycles
- Easy to Use
More InfoBiodegradable, Environmentally Safe
Cellulose Fiber is environmentally friendly, non-toxic and biodegradable. Since the cellulose fibers are derived from trees it is a renewable resource, does not contain silica and is safe in the environment.
In the filter, the cellulose fibers nest together to form a highly uniform filter coating that traps the smallest of particles. The resulting filtration is higher than that of D.E. giving you cleaner, clearer water.
Longer Filter Cycles
Since Cellulose Fiber is fluffy (low bulk density) one pound replaces eight pounds of D.E. After your initial charge of Leslie’s Cellulose Fiber you may see a shorter cycle (backwashing/recharging) due to the removal of smaller particles to achieve the higher filtration rate. Once your water is stabilized you will see the time between your cycles increase at least two times when compared to D.E. cycles.
Use Less than D.E.
D.E. requires up to eight times more product (by weight) to achieve a filtration rate comparable to Cellulose Fiber. The filtering layer formed by the long fibers is quite dense and forms quickly into a thin layer. D.E. on the other hand, has irregularly sized particles that must form into a thick layer to provide an adequate filtration screen.
With the extended time between cycles you will have fewer backwashes, using less water chemicals, filter media and spend less time maintaining your pool or spa. Back to Top
InstallationOne Pound of Cellulose Fiber Replaces Eight Pounds of D.E.
Leslie’s Cellulose Fiber is an all-natural, biodegradable and environmentally safe alternative to D.E. for use in all pools and spas.
Leslie’s Cellulose Fiber is 100% pure cellulose fiber that filters better than D.E. (down to 2-4 microns) and gives your water a clearer, more polished look.
Installation and Usage
D.E. Filter Conversion:
- Open and thoroughly clean filter (grids and can) of all existing media and debris. Make any repairs necessary and reassemble filter.
- With filter cleaning and pump running, slowly broadcast Leslie’s Cellulose Fiber onto the water in your skimmer. (Pre-mixing with water is not necessary)
- When backwashing* is necessary, simply follow your manufacturer’s instructions and recharge your pool following Step 2 (above). *After conversion to Leslie’s Cellulose Fiber your filter may require additional backwashing and recharging until stabilized, due to the higher filtration rate.
New D.E. Filter Installation:
- With filter running, slowly broadcast Leslie’s Cellulose Fiber onto the water in your skimmer. (Pre-mixing with water is not necessary)
Cartridge and Sand Filters:
Leslie’s Cellulose Fiber acts as a filter aid in both cartridge and sand filters.
- With filter running, simply add Leslie’s Cellulose Fiber to the water in your skimmer one cup at a time until the filter gauge shows a one-pound increase in pressure.
- Your filter may require backwashing or cartridge cleaning due to the finer filtration rate with Leslie’s Cellulose Fiber.
|Filter Size (sq. ft.)||Leslie’s Cellulose Fiber (cups)||Leslie’s Cellulose Fiber (ounces)|
Can't Find What You Are Looking For?
If you cannot find a specific product or have any questions about our online ordering don't hesitate to call us at 1-800-LESLIES or click here to contact us via email.